With summer coming to a close and autumn right around the corner, turn your attention to creating soups that warm you up, cheer you up and taste delicious. Prepare Soup in large batches, cool, portion and reheat - Easy. Try this recipe from our chef Arvin Dhansew and let us know if you had a great Soup day!
Curry Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Lemon Grass
2 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
1 Tbl curry powder
2 stalks of lemon grass cut into 2 in sticks and pounded
4 oz of fresh ginger sliced
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 med onion diced
1 med carrot diced
2 Tbl whole coriander
4 sprigs of cilantro
3 cloves of garlic sliced
6 Tbl of olive oil
1 gallon of water or as much needed just to cover the top of vegetables
- In a large pre heated pot add olive oil
- Add all vegetables and spices except squash and cook for 5-10 mins
- Browning of the vegetables will extract flavor and will make the soup taste that much better
- Add squash chunks and continue to cook for and additional 5 mins, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Add enough water to cover vegetables at 3 inches
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer
- Simmer soup for 45mins or until all vegetables are tender
- In a blender slowly add soup and blend (Make sure that blender is on low prior to turning it on, adjust speed as necessary. Make sure that the blender is not sealed whilst blending for this will cause the steam to build up.
- Strain blended soup and season with salt and pepper
Last, but not least - cream or butter can be added
Suggested garnishes for this soup are, lobster, crab, toasted brioche, pumpkin seeds roasted butter nut squash, sour cream.