Last updated 5 years ago
Stray away from "American BBQ" and go Greek. For those of you who have never had the pleasure of trying tzatziki, it is a traditional Greek yogurt-based sauce flavored with lemon, garlic, and cucumbers. The tzatziki sauce ingredients and recipe is included below. Serve this delicious meal alongside a Greek salad of chunked tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. Did we mention that this recipe is low fat? Two skewers and about 1/4 cup tzatziki sauce only has 4.7 grams of fat and has almost 31 grams of protein!
What you'll need
- 2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 4 garlic cloves (2 crushed, 2 minced)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 English cucumber, coarsely shredded
- 14 ounces nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
What you'll need to do
- Heat grill to high (450° to 550°). Mix chicken, oil, wine, lemon juice, oregano, crushed garlic cloves, salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a bowl. Thread chicken onto 8 metal skewers.
- Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until grill marks appear and meat is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Put cucumber in a kitchen towel and wring out any excess liquid. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add yogurt, minced garlic, remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper, and the vinegar and mix until combined. Serve with chicken and warm pita bread.
This recipe is from a 2003 issue of Cooking Light and the nutritional fact are here.