Last updated 4 years ago
The rich, spicy warmth of chai with notes of clove, vanilla, and caramel of burbon makes this the prefect drink to warm up with during a chilly gathering.
What you'll need
- 8 bags black tea, paper and string removed
- 8 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 8 whole allspice berries, crushed
- 8 whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- ½ whole nutmeg, chopped
- 2" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, seeds and pod reserved
- 6 cups hot water
- 6 cups of milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
- ? cup honey or agave
- 1 cup spice-forward bourbon, like Maker's Mark
What you'll need to do
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine tea, spices, ginger, and vanilla bean seeds and pod with 6 cups hot water.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and add almond milk and honey or agave, whisking to combine.
- Return to a simmer, remove from heat, and allow to steep 10-15 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth-lined strainer, pressing down on solids to extract flavors.
- Transfer the chai to a heat-proof serving vessel (like an earthenware pitcher) and stir in bourbon. Alternately, ladle chai into 8 individual mugs and portion 1 oz. bourbon into each.