This year, we have two hors d'oeuvre recipes to impress your guests' with this Thanksgiving. We also have an exclusive recipe from our Chef Arvin Dhansew to prepare the perfect Thanksgiving bird. Enjoy!
style="font-size: 11px; line-height: 13px;">Mini Cheese Pumpkins
*These don’t actually have any pumpkin in them, but they do have a festive pumpkin shape.
Makes 24 pumpkins with 4-6 servings each
style="font-size: 11px; line-height: 13px;">What you'll need
- 1 (250g/8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions
- paprika for dusting
- Beat cream cheese, red peppers, garlic and cayenne until well blended. Stir in cheddar cheese. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and then coat in paprika. Make indents in the side of each one with a knife to make a pumpkin shape (refrigerate longer if needed before shaping with knife).
- Slice green onion into 1 inch pieces (green parts only). Slice each piece in half lengthwise. Roll each half back into a circular shape and stick into the top of the cheese ball. Refrigerate until serving.
Recipe & picture from Kitchen Simplicity.
Roasted Winter Squash & Onion Turnovers
Makes 42 turnovers
What you'll need
- One 3-pound butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1.5 cups shredded Gruyère cheese (5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- All-purpose flour, for rolling out the pastry
- Flaky Turnover Pastry
- Egg wash made wth 2 large egg yolks lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly butter 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Season the butternut squash with salt and pepper and place it cut side down on one of the baking sheets. Cover with foil. Spread the onion slices on the other baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the squash in the lower third of the oven for 1 hour, or until tender. Let cool, then scoop the flesh into a large skillet and mash until smooth.
- Meanwhile, roast the onion slices in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes, turning once, until tender and golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Cook the squash over high heat, stirring constantly, until any excess moisture is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the onions, Gruyère and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the squash to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of the Pastry 1/8 inch thick. Using a 4-inch round biscuit cutter, stamp out rounds as close together as possible. Stack the pastry scraps and refrigerate. Repeat with the second disk of pastry. When all the scraps are chilled, press them together, reroll and stamp out more rounds. Discard the remaining scraps.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Working in batches, brush 10 of the pastry rounds with some egg wash. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the squash filling onto the center of each round, fold into a half-moon and press to seal. Using a fork dipped in flour, crimp the edges. Transfer the turnovers to the baking sheets. Brush the turnovers with the rest of the egg wash and bake for 22 minutes, or until golden all over.
Chef Arvin Dhansew's Perfect Turkey
What you'll need
- 1 12-15 lbs organic turkey, wash and cleaned
- 1lb of butter softened
- 2 bunch of thyme chopped
- 2 bunch of parsley chopped
- 4 lemon zest
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 onion
- 1 orange
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 gallons of water
- 1 gallon of apple cider
- 1 gallon ice cubes
- 2 cups of salt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 5 tbl of whole black pepper corn
- In large Stock pot combine water, apple cider and spices, bring to a boil and remove from heat
- Add ice cube to cool mixture
- It is important that the mixture is cool to below 35 degrees before placing bird in it.
- Slowly add bird to mixture and let sit over night in refrigerator.
- Remove bird from Brine, pat dry and let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour
- Softened butter and mix with parsley, thyme, lemon zest, salt and black pepper
- Gently lift skin of bird and place butter mixture between skin and meat of the bird
- Be careful not to rip the skin
- Stuff bird with carrots, onion, celery and orange
- In a pre heated 500 degrees oven place bird on roasting rack and roast for 20 mins
- This will give that golden brown color we strive for.
- Turn oven down to 350 and continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- If bird becomes dark, place a piece of aluminum foil over breast during cooking.
- Remove and let rest for at least half hour before carving.