Part I of Relish's Holiday Entertaining series are recipes for Christmas. We have two tasty dishes for Christmas morning breakfast and one impressive soup for your guests.
Smoked Trout and Caper Cream Cheese Toasts
makes 10 servings
What you'll need
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus 1-inch lengths, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped drained capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 English muffins—split, toasted and buttered
- 1/2 pound skinless smoked trout fillet, coarsely chopped
What you'll need to do
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, shallot, chopped chives, capers and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the English muffins with the caper cream cheese. Top with the smoked trout, garnish with the chive pieces and serve.
From Food & Wine.
Makes 8 servings
- 2 pears (such as Bosc or Bartlett), each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 ounces blue cheese, cut into small pieces
- 6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise
- In a large bowl, toss the pears and lemon juice.
- Layer a slice of pear, an arugula leaf, and a piece of cheese on a piece of prosciutto and roll up.
From Real Simple.
From Relish's Executive chef, Chef Arvin Dhansew...
Curry Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Lemon Grass
makes 8 servings
- 2 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 Tbl curry powder
- 2 stalks of lemon grass cut into 2 in sticks and pounded
- 4 oz of fresh ginger sliced
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 med onion diced
- 1 med carrot diced
- 2 Tbl whole coriander
- 4 sprigs of cilantro
- 3 cloves of garlic sliced
- 6 Tbl of olive oil
- 1 gallon of water or as much needed just to cover the top of vegetables
- In a large pre heated pot add olive oil
- Add all vegetables and spices except squash and cook for 5-10 mins
- Browning of the vegetables will extract flavor and will make the soup taste that much better
- Add squash chunks and continue to cook for and additional 5 mins, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Add enough water to cover vegetables at 3 inches
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer
- Simmer soup for 45mins or until all vegetables are tender
- In a blender slowly add soup and blend (Make sure that blender is on low prior to turning it on, adjust speed as necessary. Make sure that the blender is not sealed whilst blending for this will cause the steam to build up.
- Strain blended soup and season with salt and pepper